Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Al

16x16
Acrylic on cradled panel

It's been awhile because our computer died. I think I figured out a work around with BlogPad Pro.

This year seems to be going by so fast. Maybe it's a whirl because of the many deadlines I am trying to meet. There are work deadlines, boat projects and of course artwork dates. There are a couple of shows I hope to enter this summer. One of them is the 59th Juried Exhibition at The Haggin Museum. It's a national exhibit (gulp!). It will be an honor if "Al" gets in.

I recently attended "Fresh Works" another juried show. Both of my paintings "Cafe" and "Dinner Party" were selected with "Dinner Party" receiving a merit award! It was an interesting reception. I think it was the first time I heard a judge, in this case, Richard Ambrose, talk about the selection process. He looked for skill and also work that spoke to him. What an honor it was to be there!

Mr. Ambrose is the executive director of the Richmond Art Center in Richmond, CA. There is a current exhibit (3/19-5/22/16) of Bay Area figurative artist David Park and there is no admission fee to the gallery!

5 comments:

  1. Wow- this is strong. A great painting.
    I really like the rectangle of interest within the square format. I enjoyed exploring the surface and discovering the second dog, the boat, the remote... You know, things to take my eyes around the painting. Congratulations and I hope you plan on entering it into shows. It's a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! Fingers crossed for the upcoming exhibit!

      Delete
  2. This is amazing, Kaethe. Such a recognizable moment. You've perfectly captured not only Al's pose, but also those of the darling doggies. You are always accomplished with figures, but this is a complex, ambitious composition as well. As Julie says, it's filled with delights to discover. I always admire your ability to simplify, yet absolutely convey form and gesture.

    Congratulations on having the excellence of your "Dinner Party" recognized. Another complex composition, it's a fav of mine, and a definite knock-out. Very best of luck for the Haggin Museum show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I love everything about this painting, Kaethe. You were not about to let the viewer's eyes leave this one! Congrats on the award and good luck with the upcoming events!
    And Worker Bee, and Jean's pups- so priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The perspective and composition of this one is so amazing! So many things to see in this great portrait of Al. I love the pups, too!

    ReplyDelete